A perspective view of the Poor House of Edinburgh as it now stands unfinished

A perspective view of the Poor House of Edinburgh as it now stands unfinished

This engraving by John Elphinstone shows the Poor House as it would have looked very shortly after it was built in 1743. The "unfinished" in the engraving caption suggests that the Poor House was originally intended to be larger, perhaps with extra wings, as shown in Maitland's engraving. However, the city maps suggest that the Poor House was not extended until some time between 1817 and 1845.

This image is copyright City of Edinburgh Council and is reproduced with permission. For more information about the image, see the Capital Collections website.